March 07, 2010

12 journalists laid to rest, their search for justice continues by Bb. Oria

General Santos City is known as the tuna capital of the Philippines and the home of people’s champ Manny Pacquiao but is not known to all that this is also the burial site of the 12 journalists who were killed in the tragic Maguindanao massacre.


Before proceeding to Forest Lake Cemetery were the 12 journalists were buried we first bought flowers, to serve as offerings and as a little something so they will in a way remember us. Picking flowers for them was a little bit hard for me because I want to leave behind a little piece of me, and t the end I chose flowers which bear my favorite color.


Upon our arrival at Forest Lake Cemetery it was so serene, so calm but when I stood and was faced with the 12 tomb stones of the 12 journalists, chills ran down my spine. I was neither terrified nor afraid, but something made me stood still before placing the flowers upon their grave. After placing flowers on each and every grave, I had this heavy feeling in my heart a feeling that these people deserve justice and I know in my heart they will get it. I felt so sad for those people they left behind especially their children, significant other, their parents and friends. I was especially moved when I saw a very young girl who was asked by her relatives to say good-bye and I love you to her mother in her cutest voice, it was so heart-breaking.


As I stood aside and watched my fellow classmates taking photographs of the tomb stone, in my mind I was talking to them. I was telling them how much respect I have for them and from then on I will always say a little prayer for them. It was good that we were able to pay our respects to those journalists who have passed on, dropping by before leaving for Manila gave me as sense that being a journalist is truly a calling for one must be aware that there are a lot of risks and one must be brave and tough enough to face them.

No comments:

Post a Comment